Xaverian Brothers

Also known as

  • Congregation of the Brothers of Saint Francis Xavier
  • C.F.X.

Founded

Article

An institute of laymen established as a teaching congregation under episcopal approbation. The rule, enjoining the usual simple vows and dedication to the instruction of youth, was framed by Father Van Kerkhoven, S.J. A school established at Bury, England in 1846 was removed to Manchester in 1856, and one at Hastings to Mayneld; a novitiate Avas established at Hammersmith in 1861, and a new school, called the Catholic Collegiate Institute, was opened at Victoria Park, Manchester in 1906. Clapham College, London, is an influential Catholic center. In the United States the congregation has flourished since 1854, with schools at Louisville, Baltimore, Boston, Richmond, and other important points. In the Belgian province, four houses, in addition to the mother-house, were established. A Brief of encouragement was granted by Pope Pius IX in 1865. The constitutions were revised in 1919 in conformity with the New Code of Canon Law. The institute is governed by a superior-general, provincials, local superiors, and councils. A general chapter is held every six years.

MLA Citation

  • “Xaverian Brothers“. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 November 2019. Web. 28 May 2020. <>