Wimborne Minster

Also known as

  • Wimburn
  • Winburn

Article

A Benedictine double monastery in Dorsetshire, England, 705723, founded by Saints Cuthburga and Quimburga, sisters of Ine, King of the West Saxons. In the 9th century the monastery was probably destroyed by Danes, and all trace of the Saxon buildings has disappeared. At a later date, secular canons were established at Wimborne, but in 1547 the college was suppressed, and the minster is now an Anglican church. A small chained library, dating from 1686, is of interest.

MLA Citation

  • “Wimborne Minster”. New Catholic Dictionary. CatholicSaints.Info. 13 November 2019. Web. 6 March 2021. <>