Whithorn Priory

Article

Wigtownshire, Scotland, founded in the 12th century by Fergus, Lord of Galloway, for Premonstratensian Canons. It was long a noted place of pilgrimage owing to its connection with the venerated memory of Saint Ninian. The property was vested in the Crown, 1587, and given to the Bishop of Galloway, when Episcopalianism was established in Scotland, 1606. It belonged to the bishopric until the revolution of 1688.

MLA Citation

  • “Whithorn Priory”. New Catholic Dictionary. CatholicSaints.Info. 12 November 2019. Web. 2 March 2021. <>