Whitefriars

Article

The old name for Carmelites.


The name of a precinct, street, and Carmelite monastery in London, the district being situated between Fleet Street and the Thames, east of the Temple, and the street running from Fleet to Tudor Street. The name is derived from the color of the habit of the Carmelite friars, a part of whose convent, formerly a sanctuary possessing the privilege of protecting persons liable to arrest, was discovered in Bouverie Street, 1883, with the addition of a small 14th-century crypt, uncovered 1895, in Britton’s Court, off Whitefriars Street. The district, nicknamed Alsatia, is mentioned in Scott’s “Peveril of the Peak” and “Fortunes of Nigel.” Carmelite House, in Carmelite Street, formerly the convent proper, is now the headquarters of the Northcliffe Press.

MLA Citation

  • “Whitefriars”. New Catholic Dictionary. CatholicSaints.Info. 12 November 2019. Web. 21 April 2021. <>