The Holiness of the Church in the Nineteenth Century – Father Caspar Bertoni

detail of the official canonization portrait of Saint Gaspar Bertoni, artist unknown, date unknown; swiped from the Vatican web siteCaspar Bertoni is famed in Verona especially for his angelic chastity. When a priest he conducted many retreats for the people, but his principal care was the souls of the young. An Oratory of secular priests, named “Of the Holy Wounds,” owes its existence to him. Later he was made director of the Society of the Daughters of Charity, founded by the Venerable Maddalena of Canossa. For the last twelve years of his life he was confined to his bed by a wound in the leg. On the 12th of June, 1853, he exchanged his bed of pain for eternal joys.

– this text is taken from The Holiness of the Church in the Nineteenth Century: Saintly Men and Women of Our Own Times, by Father Constantine Kempf, SJ; translated from the German by Father Francis Breymann, SJ; Impimatur by + Cardinal John Farley, Archbishop of New York, 25 September 1916