Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Founded

  • 1845 by Father Louis Gilet, C.SS.R at Monroe, Michigan
  • Article

    Founded for the work of teaching. They were given a Rule founded on that of Saint Alphonsus, prepared by Father Gilet. The order manages schools, a college, an academy, and an orphanage for girls, all in the states of Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio. The mother-house is at Monroe. In 1856 an independent mother-house was established at Villa Maria, West Chester, Pennsylvania. These sisters conduct a college, academies, high schools, parochial schools, nurseries, houses for settlement work, a Catholic children’s home bureau, the educational department of Saint Joseph’s home, and high school annexes. Another independent mother-house was later founded at Scranton, Pennsylvania. The members of this community conduct a college, academies, high schools, elementary schools, boys industrial school, orphan asylums, infant home, nursery, and a sodality home.

    MLA Citation

    • “Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary“. Congregations of the Faith. CatholicSaints.Info. 14 August 2013. Web. 2 March 2021. <>