Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Xaverian Brothers

Article

Educational. Under Simple Vows. Founded 1839. Motto: Concordia res parvae crescunt.

The Congregation of the Xaverian Brothers was founded in 1839 by Theodore James Ryken at Bruges; he was born in 1797 at Elshout, in the Catholic province of North Brabant, Holland. His object was to found an institute of men who would sacrifice their lives to the Christian education of youth. Saint Francis Xavier was chosen as the Patron of the Congregation; hence their name of Xaverian Brothers. The founder and twelve other Brothers made their profession at Bruges in 1846, when he took the name of Saint Francis Xavier. Not long afterwards they opened Saint Francis Xavier’s College at Bruges; this still flourishes. Two years after the Brothers came to England, and have now thriving establishments at Clapham, Manchester, and Mayfield. The end of the Congregation is the sanctification of the members and the Christian education of youth. In 1854 the Brothers opened their first house in the United States at Baltimore, at the request of Archbishop Spalding of that city. They have now over twenty establishments in America. Postulants are admitted from the age of fifteen. The novitiate lasts at least two years, after which those who have given satisfaction to their Superiors are admitted to profession, and allowed to take the three religious vows.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “Xaverian Brothers”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 2 December 2018. Web. 9 December 2018. <>