Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Institute of Saint Andrew

Article

Active. Under No Vows. Founded 1870. Motto: Bona X Crux.

Saint Andrew’s Institute was founded in 1870 by the late Rev. George Bampfield, B.A., Oxon; it received the Papal approbation and blessing from Pius IX, of pious memory, in 1878.

The Congregation consists of secular priests, students, and lay-Brothers living under a rule and in community. After their own sanctification, the objects of the members are to found missions in country places, to direct boarding-schools for the poorer classes, and to spread Catholic truth by means of the press.

The Institute receives students for the priesthood at a low charge. It is not so well known as it deserves to be, owing to the very retiring disposition of its late founder, who died in January, 1900. It is not endowed, and is therefore largely dependent on the charity of the faithful.

The Institute has two schools at Barnet.

Saint Andrew’s Press publishes Saint Andrew’s Monthly Magazine, and other books and leaflets for the spread of Catholic truth.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “The Institute of Saint Andrew”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 30 November 2018. Web. 23 April 2021. <>