Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Congregation of Saint Francis of Sales

Article

Missionary. Under Simple Vows. Founded beginning of the Nineteenth Century. Motto: J. M. J. F.

The missionaries of Saint Francis of Sales were founded in the early part of the last century at Annecy (Haute-Savoie) for holding missions in the diocese and for foreign missions; they also till lately undertook the secondary education of the pupils in the free college at Evian, and in the seminary of Mélan. The Congregation received the Lauda in 1843, and was approved in 1860. A final approbation was given to the rules of the Order by Pope Leo XIII on 7 September 1889. It was authorized by the King Charles Albert in 1838.

Since 1845 the Congregation has had charge of a very important mission in India. By a brief of Pius IX, dated 3 April 1850, this mission was erected into an Apostolic Vicariate, out of which were created the Bishopric of Vizagapatam in 1886 and the Diocese of Nagpur in 1887. There the Fathers have the care of thousands of orphans, and devote themselves to the conversion of the poor pagans, and afterwards take charge of their souls. They have a house at Devizes and one at Malmesbury.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “Congregation of Saint Francis of Sales”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 30 November 2018. Web. 18 April 2021. <>