Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Canons Regular of the Holy Cross

Article

Mixed. Under Solemn Vows. Restored 1211.

The Canons Regular of the Holy Cross are a branch of the Augustinian Canons; they were restored and reformed in 1211 by the Venerable Theodore de Celles during the reign of Pope Innocent III, who approved them in 1216. Like all the Canons Regular, their first object is the recitation in choir of the Divine Office, and with this they combine the duties of a missionary priest. Their rule is that of Saint Augustine, to which they add their own Constitutions.

Their habit is of white cloth, with a black scapular, on which is a Maltese cross in white and red; a black sash is worn round the waist, so tied that it forms a Greek cross before and behind; over the habit is worn a black cloth cape.

These Canons have the special privilege of blessing rosaries, and attaching an indulgence of 500 days to each bead.

They had one house in England, at Newmarket, Cambridgeshire.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “Canons Regular of the Holy Cross”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 29 November 2018. Web. 18 April 2021. <>