Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Brothers of Saint Gabriel

Article

Educational. Under No Vows. Date of foundation disputed.

According to some authorities, this Congregation was founded in 1585 at Boulogne by Cesar Bianchetti. The foundation is more usually ascribed to Blessed Louis Grignon de Montfort in the beginning of the seventeenth century, but it did not spread much until it was united in 1821 to another institution of a similar kind, founded in Brittany in 1816. It was called after Saint Gabriel because the first chapel the Brothers had at Boulogne was dedicated to that Saint; its full title now is the Brothers of Christian Institution of Saint Gabriel.

The Brothers take no vows; they make a novitiate of three years, after which they are received into the Congregation after promising obedience to the Superior, and to employ them- selves in its works for the good of souls.

The Superior is elected for three years by the whole community, who each have a vote; he is assisted by four counsellors elected in the same way.

The habit worn by the Brothers is black; the members are usually men of means sufficient to maintain them.

The Congregation had 122 schools in France, and also two schools for the blind and eight for deaf-mutes. The mother-house was at Saint Laurent-sur-Sévre; in 1880 it numbered 790 members.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “Brothers of Saint Gabriel”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 2 December 2018. Web. 11 December 2018. <>