Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland – Brothers of Mercy

photograph of an unidentified Brother of Mercy from the book Monasteries and Religious Houses of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903, photographer unknownArticle

Active. Under Simple Vows. Founded 1839. Motto: Beati Misericordes.

The full title of this Institute is the “Brothers of Our Lady of Mercy”. It was founded by Monsignor Scheppers at Malines, Belgium, in 1839. The principal object the members of this Congregation have in view is to attend not only to their own perfection, but also to labour for the salvation of their neighbours, in prisons and hospitals, and to take charge of the education of boys, principally orphans and children of the poor classes, but also of all grades of society. They were invited to England in 1855 by the late Cardinal Wiseman, and now have several schools here (see Appendix). About 900 boys receive a Christian education in these establishments.

The Brothers were approved by Pius IX, of pious memory, on the recommendation of the present Pope, Leo XIII (then Cardinal Pecci), who also approved their Constitutions.

The novitiate lasts one year; the novitiate house for England is at Malines.

The Brothers wear a black habit and scapular, with a brown cross on the breast.

MLA Citation

  • Francesca M Steele. “Brothers of Mercy”. Monasteries of Great Britain and Ireland, 1903. CatholicSaints.Info. 29 November 2018. Web. 19 April 2021. <>