English Monastic Life – Friars of the Holy Trinity, or Trinitarians

TrinitarianArticle

These religious were founded by Saint John of Matha and Saint Felix of Valois about 1197 for the redemption of captives. They were called “Trinitarians,” because by their rule all their churches were dedicated to the Holy Trinity, or “Maturines,” from the fact that their original foundation in Paris was near Saint Mathurine’s Chapel. The Order was confirmed by Pope Innocent III, who gave the religious white robes, with a red and blue cross on their breasts, and a cloak with the same emblem on the left side. Their revenues were to be divided into three parts; one for their own support, one to relieve the poor, and the third to ransom Christians who had been taken captive by the infidels. They were brought to England in 1244, and were given the lands and privileges of the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre on the extinction of that Order. According to the Monasticon, they had, in all, eleven houses in this country; but these establishments were small, the usual number of religious in each being three friars and three lay brothers. The superior was named “minister,” and included in his office the functions of superior and procurator; and the houses were united into a congregation under a Minister major, who held a general Chapter annually for the regulation of defects and the discussion of common interests.

MLA Citation

  • Dom Adrian Gasquet. “Friars of the Holy Trinity, or Trinitarians”. English Monastic Life, 1904. CatholicSaints.Info. 27 November 2018. Web. 19 April 2021. <>