English Monastic Life – Carmelites

Carmelite FriarArticle

The Carmelite Friars were so called from the place of their origin. They were also named “White Friars” from the colour of the cloak of their habit, and Friars of the Blessed Virgin. These friars are first heard of in the twelfth century, on being driven out of Palestine by the persecution of the Saracens. Their Rule is chiefly founded on that of Saint Basil, and was confirmed by Pope Honorius III. in A.D. 1224, and finally approved by Innocent IV in 1250. They were brought into England by John Vesey and Richard Grey, and established their first houses in the north at Alnwick, and in the south at Ailesford in Kent. At the latter place the first European Chapter of the Order was held in A.D. 1245. In the sixteenth century there were about forty houses in England and Wales.

MLA Citation

  • Dom Adrian Gasquet. “Carmelites”. English Monastic Life, 1904. CatholicSaints.Info. 28 November 2018. Web. 17 April 2021. <>