Catholic Pocket Dictionary – Congregation of the Holy Ghost and of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Article

This congregation, as its name might suggest, arose out of the fusion into one, in 1848, of two pre-existing institutes the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, and the Missioners of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The rule of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, which had been approved by the Sovereign Pontiff, was to be retained, and the constitutions of the missionaries were for the most part incorporated in it.

The society is governed by a superior-general elected for life. Its missions are directed by bishops or vicars-apostolic chosen from its own body. All the members, fathers and brothers consecrate themselves to God by the three simple vows of religion, at first temporary, afterwards perpetual; and they bind themselves to the congregation by their act of profession, which contains an engagement of perseverance.

MLA Citation

  • Father James J McGovern. “Congregation of the Holy Ghost and of the Immaculate Heart of Mary”. Catholic Pocket Dictionary, 1906. CatholicSaints.Info. 4 November 2019. Web. 3 March 2021. <>