Bury Saint Edmunds Abbey

Bury Saint Edmund'sFounded

Notes

Relics of the martyred King Edmund were enshrined there in 903. Early in the 11th century the secular canons were replaced by Benedictines, who built a magnificent church and extensive monastery buildings. Only a few ruins remain, including Norman and Decorated gateways. Abbot Samson (died 1211) founded a hospital and free school and aided the townspeople in obtaining a charter. Two 15th-century monks of this congregation were the bibliographer John Boston and John Lydgate, a poet.

Additional Information

MLA Citation

  • “Bury Saint Edmunds Abbey”. New Catholic Dictionary. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 January 2020. Web. 27 September 2021. <>