Venerable Teodora Campostrini

detail of an Italian holy card of Venerable Teodora CampostriniProfile

Second of eight children born to the wealthy family of Francisco and Angela Terzi. Teodora and her sister Rose were educated at the Benedictine convent and school in Verona, Italy, but had to return home in 1806 when religious orders were suppressed as part of the Napoleonic invasion. She felt a call to religious life, but had to wait till 1815 to enter the convent of Saint Mary of the Visitation of Salò-Brescia, Italy; poor health forced her to return to the family home in 1816. By making retreats, she came to know Saint Maddalena of Canossa and Servant of God Leopoldina Naudet. Following her doctor‘s advice, Teodora moved to the country, to nearby San Massimo all’Adige with two friends, Francesca Benvenuti and Elisabetta Nicolini, who also felt drawn to religious life. On 6 July 1818 the three of them consecrated themselves to God, adopted the Augustinian Rule, the constitutions of Saint Francis de Sales, dedicated themselves to the education of girls, and became the foundation of the Minim Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Sorrows; they ran free schools for girls, obtained approval from civil authorities in 1829, from the bishop of Verona in 1831, from Pope Pius IX in 1848, and continue their good work today.





  • Minim Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Sorrows
Additional Information

MLA Citation

  • “Venerable Teodora Campostrini“. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 March 2016. Web. 28 October 2016. <>