The original abbey developed around a hermitage, and for years housed relics of Saint Benedict Biscop. It was destroyed in 869 by pagan Danish raiders with the massacred of Saint Torthred of Thorney and many of his brother monks. Re-built as a Benedictine abbey in the mid-970‘s under the direction of Saint Ethelwold, housed the relics of Saint Herefrith of Lindsey, and was expanded after the Norman Conquest of 1066. Surrendered in 1539 during the dissolution of the monasteries, and today there is little left of the original construction.
- “Thorney Abbey“. . CatholicSaints.Info. 9 April 2010. Web. 10 October 2015. <>