Terryglass Monastery

Also known as

  • Tirdaglas Monastery
  • Tír dá glass Monastery



Former monastery in Tir da glas, Ireland. Throughout its existence the house was known as a center of learning. The monks there produced the Book of Leinster c.1160, which is now housed in Trinity College Dublin; it is an important collection of history, tales and poems written in Middle Irish, and is believed to be the work of Áed Ua Crimthainn, a 12th century abbot of Terryglass. Vikings frequently raided the abbey, and it was burned in 1164; only a partial wall remains of the structures. There are two nearby healing wells, the Eye Well and the Headache Well.

Profiled Monks

MLA Citation

  • “Terryglass Monastery”. Gazetteer of the Faith. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 December 2009. Web. 30 November 2015. <http://catholicsaints.info/terryglass-monastery/>