- Jan Papczynski
- Jana Papczynski
- Stanislao de Jesus Maria
- Stanislaus of Jesus and Mary
- Stanislaus Papczynski
- Father Founder of the Marians
Youngest of eight children of Tomasz Papczyński, a village blacksmith and bailiff and Zofia Tacikowska. As a boy he worked as a shepherd, tending his father‘s sheep. He was not a natural student, but he worked hard and graduated from a series of schools, colleges and seminaries.
Joined the Piarists on 2 July 1654, taking the name Stanisłaus of Jesus and Mary; he worked as a menial at his house, and continued his studies. Taught rhetoric at Piarist colleges of Rzeszow and Podoliniec in Poland. Priest, ordained on 12 March 1661. Taught in a college in Warsaw, Poland, using a rhetoric textbook that he wrote, and which went through several printings after he left. A noted preacher, on feast days he would deliver sermons in several churches in Warsaw. Director of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Grace, Patroness of Warsaw from 1663 to 1667.
Believing that the Piarists had become too lax in their observance, on 11 December 1670 he obtained release from his vows and left the Order. Following a period of retreat, reflection and prayer, in September 1671 he established in order of white-robed canons regular as a basis for a new congregation that better fit his vision of service. He organized his first house at Puszcza Korabiewska, Poland in September 1673 with a group of former soldiers, who had been living as religious hermits, as the first members of his new Congregation; this is considered the founding of the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, the Church’s first men’s religious order dedicated to the Immaculate Conception.
- 17 September 1701 in Góra Kalwaria, Mazowieckie, Poland of natural causes
- buried at the Church of the Lord’s Cenacle in Góra Kalwaria
- 16 September 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI
- the beatification miracle involved the healing of a Polish boy named Sebastian who died in utero; the child regained a heartbeat on the 8th day of a novena prayed to Stanislaw by a relative, and was born without complications in October 2001
- 5 June 2016 by Pope Francis
- the canonization miracle involved the complete healing of a 20 year old Polish woman who had been reduced to mechanical life support after a respiratory disease had damaged her lungs beyond use
Our Lord and God, in consideration of Your Servant, Blessed Stanislaus, who, in spite of many obstacles, trusting in the help of Your Providence, faithfully followed in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, and of His Mother Mary, Conceived Immaculate, grant us this grace that we may be marked by an unwavering trust in Your omnipotence, goodness, and faithfulness, especially when You lead us upon a thorny road towards the glorious promises of Your love. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. – prayer for the intercession of Blessed Stanislaw
- “Saint Stanislaw of Jesus and Mary“. CatholicSaints.Info. 18 May 2016. Web. 28 March 2017. <>