Ordained by Saint Cyril, Patriarch of Alexandria. Leader of the orthodox Christians in Alexandria. Appointed archpriest of Alexandria by Dioscorus, Patriarch of Alexandria. When Dioscorus began supporting heretical theologians, Proterus opposed him. When Dioscorus was denounced by the Council of Chalcedon in 451, Proterus was elected Patriach of Alexandria. Theologically, this divided Alexandria into two groups, almost like armed camps – supporters of Proterus and supporters of Dioscorus, and later Elurus, his successor. When imperial forces intervened to settle the matter, rioting broke out; Elurus was driven from the city, and Proterius was murdered in a church. Martyr.
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Letter to Proterius, Bishop of Alexandria by Pope Saint Leo I
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Santi e Beati
- “Saint Proterius of Alexandria“. CatholicSaints.Info. 24 February 2010. Web. 27 May 2016. <>