Raised a pagan; his father was even commissioned to persecute Christians by emperor Maximian. Mathurin converted at age 12. Priest at age 20, ordained by Saint Polycarp. Zealous evangelist in his region, even converting his parents. Noted exorcist, even healing Theodora, the daughter of the emperor; his ministry of dealing with the possessed led to his tradition of patronage of the mentally ill.
- Larchant, France
- Rome, Italy of natural causes
- buried in Rome, he climbed out of the grave to return to his old home at Larchant, France
- in 1004 the canons of Notre-Dame de Paris divided his relics between Larchant, some in Paris, France
- Paris relics enshrined in a church dedicated to him in 1153; it became a place of pilgrimage and healing for centuries
- his shrine in Larchant was burned by Huguenots in 1568
- “Saint Mathurin“. CatholicSaints.Info. 3 October 2009. Web. 25 August 2016. <>