- Martin of the Holy Cross
Educated in the monastery of Saint Marcellus at Leon, Spain. Pilgrim to Rome, Italy, and to Constantinople. Augustinian canon regular at Saint Marcellus abbey. Priest. When his monastery was secularized, he entered the collegiate church of Saint Isidore at Leon. Wrote commentaries on the Epistles and Revelations, and discourses on varied subjects. Known during his lifetime for his holiness and ascetical writings.
- 12 January 1203 at León, Spain of natural causes
- relics enshrined in the San Martin chapel in the collegiate church of León in 1513
- the religious of Saint Isidore’s dedicated a chapel to Martin very early, and celebrated his feast each year
- in 1964 the Sacred Congregation of Rites approved his feast for the diocese of León, Spain
- “Saint Martin of Leon“. CatholicSaints.Info. 12 January 2017. Web. 21 January 2017. <>