Married to a man named John from Edessa; she had previously made a private vow of virginity but received a revelation that she should agree to the arranged marriage. Mother of Saint Simeon Stylites the Younger. Widowed when Simeon was very young, she devoted herself to his Christian education. Visionary who received apparitions of Saint John the Baptist and of angels.
- early 6th century in Antioch, Syria
- 551 at Mont Admirable, Syria of natural causes
- buried in the village of Daphne outside Antioch, Syria
- re-interred at the church of the Holy Trinity at the monastery near the pillar of Saint Simeon Stylites the Younger
- re-interred in a chapel built nearby in her honour
- miracles reported in the chapel
- “Saint Marthe“. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 July 2016. Web. 30 March 2017. <>