- Giovanni Ludovico Bonnard
Studied at seminaries in Aix and Lyons. Ordained in 1848. Missionary priest with the Paris Society of Foreign Missions, assigned to Hong Kong. Re-assigned to Annam, Indo-China (modern Vietnam) in May 1850, working in the districts of Kebang and Ketrinh. Arrested at Boasujan in 1852 for the crime of being a missionary and baptizing children. Imprisoned and tried at Nadinh. Martyred with Saint Augustine Schoffler.
- beheaded on 1 May 1852 at Tonkin, Indo-China (modern Vietnam)
- body thrown into the river, but immediately recovered by local Christians
- interred in the college of Vinhtri
- his blood-covered garments, links of his chains, his hair and his beard were kept by heathen soldiers and sold to Christians
- “Saint John-Louis Bonnard“. CatholicSaints.Info. 21 April 2015. Web. 24 February 2017. <>