Spiritual student of Saint Benedict of Nursia. Benedictine monk. Worked to spread monasticism throughout Italy, bringing many scholars and future saints to the religious life and the Benedictine Order. Abbot of a house in Valeria, Italy. Noted preacher Pope Saint Gregory the Great refers to Equitius in his Dialogues.
- between 480 and 490 in the area of Valeria Suburbicaria (present-day L’Aquila-Rieti-Tivoli), Abruzzi, Italy
- c.570 at the monastery of San Lorenzo di Pizzoli of natural causes
- relics translated to Aquila, Italy
- holding a monastery, emblematic of the houses founded through his work
- “Saint Equitius of Valeria“. CatholicSaints.Info. 7 June 2009. Web. 30 June 2015. <>