The little recorded of his childhood is probably legend. Hermit, living in a cave at Alsace, France with a widespread reputation for holiness. When King Dagobert’s son was killed in a hunting accident, Arbogast’s prayers brought the lad back to life. Bishop of Strasbourg, France c.630; very devoted to his people, and through Dagobert’s generosity, he was able to build several churches.
- c.678 of natural causes
- at his insistence, he was buried in an area normally reserved for criminals
- the church of Saint Michael was soon built over his grave
- relics translated to the nearby Saint Arbogast abbey
- relics scattered and lost during the Thirty Years War
- “Saint Arbogast of Strasbourg“. CatholicSaints.Info. 30 January 2011. Web. 30 June 2015. <>