- 20 December (since 2001)
- formerly 26 August (date of his burial)
- 26 July on some calendars
- 21 December on some calendars
Nothing for sure is known about his life prior to him becoming the 15th pope. More of a manager of the Church than a learned theologian. He declared that all ordinations should take place in the open and in front of members of the Church. His pontificate was characterized by arguments over the nature of Christ as God, leading to the first schism in Christianity, and to its leader, anti-pope Hippolytus. He appointed his advisor, the future Pope Saint Callistus I, to be in charge of burials in Rome, Italy.
- 20 December 217, Rome, Italy of natural causes
- buried in a sepulchral chamber over the cemetery of Calistus on the Via Appia, Rome
- “Pope Saint Zephyrinus“. CatholicSaints.Info. 22 September 2016. Web. 21 January 2017. <>