Chosen 22nd pope. Noted for his ascetic lifestyle, even while on the throne. Forbade men and women not related by blood to live together. Decreed that clergy should not live with deaconesses even if given lodging for reasons of charity. Exiled briefly during the persecution of Emperor Gallus. Condemned the Novatian heresy.
- 5 March 254 at Rome, Italy of natural causes
- buried at Saint Callistus catacomb
- relics transferred to the church of Saint Cecilia in Trastevere, Rome in 821
- some relics transferred to Roskilde, Denmark c.1100
- his head placed in a reliquary bust in the Saint Ansgar cathedral at Roskilde in 1910
- “Pope Saint Lucius I“. CatholicSaints.Info. 21 March 2016. Web. 24 July 2016. <>