- Gregory the Younger
- Gregory Junior
Involved in Church affairs from an early age. Pope Saint Sergius I ordained Gregory a sub-deacon. He served the next four popes as treasurer of the Church, then librarian. Assigned important missions. Accompanied Pope Constantine to Constantinople for discussions with Emperor Justinian II.
Elected 89th pope in 715. He held synods to correct abuses, stopped heresy and promoted discipline and morality in religious and clerical life. Rebuilt a great portion of the walls of Rome, Italy to protect the city against the Lombards. Restored churches, cared for the sick and aged, re-established monasteries and abbeys. Consecrated Saint Boniface and Saint Corbinian as missionary bishops to the tribes in Germany. English pilgrims increased to the point that they required a church, cemetery, and school of their own.
In his dealings with Emperor Leo III, Gregory’s showed strength and patience. Leo demanded destruction of holy images. When bishops failed to convince him of his error, they disobeyed and appealed to the Pope. Gregory tried to change the emperor’s thinking, counseled the people to maintain allegiance to the prince, and encouraged the bishops to oppose the heresy. It appears he won out.
- American Catholic
- Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- Katherine Rabenstein
- Kirken i Norge
- Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
- New Catholic Dictionary
- Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints
- Pope Gregory II Commends Bishop Boniface to the Christians of Germany
- Pope Gregory II Gregory Invests Boniface with Episcopal Authority
- Pope Gregory II Commends Boniface to the Leaders of Thuringia
- Pope Gregory II Commends Boniface to Charles Martel
- Pope Gregory II Commends Boniface to the People of Thuringia
- Pope Gregory II Replies to Questions Put by Boniface
- Pope Gregory II Invests Boniface with the Pallium
- Santi e Beati
- “Pope Saint Gregory II“. CatholicSaints.Info. 18 April 2015. Web. 14 October 2015. <>