No records survive of his early life. Deacon in Rome, Italy. Elected 36th pope. Confirmed the Nicene Creed. Exiled for his faith during disputes with imperial Arianists, and the anti-pope Felix placed on the throne. He later returned to Rome, re-took the throne, proclaimed orthodox teaching, and re-asserted Rome’s primacy in theological matters.
- Basilica of Summer Snows, by June Hager
- Catholic Encyclopedia, by John Chapman
- Has Any Pope Been Guilty of Heresy?, by Warren H Carroll
- New Catholic Dictionary
- Popes Through the Ages, by Father Joseph Brusher
- Our Lady of the Snows, by Father Matthew R Mauriello