- Albino Luciani
Son of Giovanni Luciani and Bortola Tancon, poor working folks; he was baptized the same day at home by the midwife as he was in danger of death. Albino entered the seminary at Feltre, Italy in October 1923, and the Gregorian seminary at Belluno, Italy in October 1928. Deacon on 2 February 1935. Ordained at Belluno on 7 July 1935. Parish priest and taught religion at the Technical Institute for Miners in Agordo, Italy. Rector of the Gregorian seminary from 1937 to 1947. Received his Doctorate in Sacred Theology from the Gregorian University, Rome, Italy in 1947. Chancellor of the diocese of Belluno in 1947. Bishop of Vittorio Veneto, Italy on 15 December 1958. Attended the Second Vatican Council. Patriarch of Venice in 1969. Created Cardinal of San Marco on 5 March 1973. Elected 263rd pope, he reigned for less than five weeks. His Cause for Canonization has begun.
- elected 26 August 1978 on the third ballot during the second day of the conclave
- ascended to the throne on 3 September 1978
- 28 September 1978 in Rome, Italy of a heart attack
- the cause of death is still much disputed by people who believe he was murdered
- Saint Peter’s Basilica Info: Tomb and Grotto
- “Pope John Paul I“. . CatholicSaints.Info. 20 March 2016. Web. 27 September 2016. <>