Our Lady of Czestochowa

Our Lady of CzestochowaAlso known as

  • Black Madonna of Czestochowa
  • Czarna Madonna
  • Hodegetria
  • Imago thaumaturga Beatae Virginis Mariae Immaculatae Conceptae
  • Matka Boska Czestochowska
  • One Who Shows the Way



A revered four-foot high, wood and canvas icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary housed at the Jasna Góra Monastery in Czestochowa, Poland. In the image, Mary, dressed in fleur-de-lis robes, directs attention away from herself and toward Jesus. The Child Jesus raises his right hand in a blessing to the viewer while holding the gospels in his left hand. It was created by an unknown artist some time prior to 1430, possibly as early as the 6th century; it was badly damaged by Hussite raiders in 1430 and had to be restored. The images is credited with saving the Jasna Góra Monastery from invading Swedes. King John II Casimer crowned the images as Queen and Protector of Poland on 1 April 1652. Pope Clement XI issued a Canonical Coronation of the image on 8 September 1717. Another Canonical Coronation was issued on 22 May 1910 by Pope Pius X. Yet another was issued by Pope John Paul II on 26 August 2005.



MLA Citation

  • “Our Lady of Czestochowa“. CatholicSaints.Info. 22 September 2016. Web. 25 October 2016. <>