Shrine located in Altotting, Bavaria, Germany, the octagonal chapel was constructed of native stone c.680 and survives today. Wars and pestilence and politics have caused the area to change hands several times, but the chapel has always survived. The small image of Our Lady was carved of lime wood c.1330, its surface blackened by age, the uncounted thousands of candles burned near it, and a fire in 907 that threatened to destroy it.
In 1489 a drowned child returned to life after being prayerfully placed before a this image of Mary. Many miracles and cures have since been attributed to Our Lady of Altotting intercession, and the area is known as the “Lourdes of Germany“.
The small chapel has been a site for pilgrimage for over 500 years. Saint Conrad of Parzham served as chapel doorkeeper for over 30 years, and Pope John Paul II visited in 1980. It is one of the richest shrines in Europe with a immense store of treasure donated by pilgrims through the centuries; these items are not on display, but the crutches and other evidence of healings are there for all to see.
- Catholic Culture
- New Catholic Dictionary: Altotting
- CatholicSaints.Info: The Blessed Virgin Mary
- “Our Lady of Altotting“. CatholicSaints.Info. 21 April 2012. Web. 30 August 2015. <>