A diocesan religious society founded in 1578 under the title of “Oblates of Saint Ambrose” by Saint Charles Borromeo in collaboration with G. Martinelli and the “Priests of the Holy Crown” who served the basilica of the Holy Sepulchre at Milan. The society was divided into six groups, two remaining at the city house, the others laboring in various parts of the diocese. Dispersed by Napoleon, 1810, the surviving community of Our Lady of Rho was reorganized in 1848 by Bartolommeo Romilli under the name, “Oblates of Saint Charles.” The members, all priests, take a simple vow of obedience to the bishop, whom they assist in the government and administration of the diocese, managing seminaries, colleges and schools, giving retreats, serving vacant parishes, and engaging in mission work. Father Ratti, the future Pope Pius XI, was a member of this society. Oblates were established in London by Cardinal Wiseman, with rules drawn up by Cardinal Manning, approved 1857, 1877. Installed at Saint Mary of the Angels, Bayswater, they undertook various Apostolic labors in the dioceses of Westminster and Southwark, especially in reviving the English secular clergy. Their ecclesiastical studies consist chiefly in ascetical and mystical theology.