The relics of Saint Judoc, who came from Brittany in the seventh century to lead a hermit’s life in the Ponthieu, a district of Picardy, were preserved at his former hermitage, afterwards known by the name of Saint Josse-sur-Mer. This cell, as it was called, was granted by Charlemagne to Alcuin, that he might give help and hospitality to his countrymen on pilgrimage, numbers of whom landed in the neighbourhood on crossing the Channel; and here Alcuin sometimes resided. In the middle of the ninth century the monastery was ravaged by the Normans, and henceforward lay desolate. In the civil commotions in those quarters fifty years later, during which the now aged St. Grimbald was obliged finally to retire into England, some other religious following him brought with them a part at least of the now neglected relics of Saint Judoc. These were received with great joy as a heavenly treasure by Saint Grimbald, and placed in the New Minster at Winchester, lately built by King Edward the elder, son of Alfred the Great, which was dedicated that same year.
- Father Richard Stanton. “Translation of Saint Judoc, Confessor, c.903”. , 1887. CatholicSaints.Info. 15 April 2015. Web. 26 February 2017. <>