Saint Ethelwin was the Second Bishop of Lindsey, after its separation from the diocese of the Mercians and Mid-Angles. A portion of his early life had been spent in study in Ireland; but he returned to his native land, and for his great merits was promoted to the episcopal charge by Saint Theodore, at the request of King Ethelred. Ethelwin was one of a family of saints. One of his brothers, Edilhun, was the inseparable friend of Saint Egbert, with whom he went to Ireland, and there died a holy death in the great plague, after being favoured with visions. Another brother was Saint Aldwine, Abbot of Peartney, in Lincolnshire, and a sister was Ethelhild, Abbess of a monastery near that place. This holy woman paid a visit to Queen Osthrytha at the Abbey of Bardney, and on that occasion attested that she herself had seen the bright light reaching from the relics of Saint Oswald up to heaven at the time of their translation. She also spoke of various miracles wrought by the relics of the same Martyr, which she had witnessed. The See of Saint Ethelwin was established at Sidnacester, or, according to William of Malmesbury, at Dorchester, in Oxfordshire. After the Norman Conquest it was removed to Lincoln by the Bishop Remigius.
- Father Richard Stanton. “Saint Ethelwin, Bishop, Confessor, c.700”. , 1887. CatholicSaints.Info. 23 April 2015. Web. 5 December 2016. <>