Fountains Abbey

Fountains AbbeyA Benedictine monastery of the Cistercian Reform, about 21 miles from Ripon, Yorkshire, England, on the Skell River, established by monks from Saint Mary’s Abbey, York, 1132. Hugh, Dean of York, and two wealthy canons, entered the monastery and brought money and property to the needy community. Monks were sent to Bergen, Norway in 1146, and the monasteries of Sawley, Roche, Woburn, Meaux, Kirkstall, and Vandy were also established from Fountains. Devastating incursions of the Scots caused Edward II to declare the monks to be tax-exempt in 1319. John de Pberd (de Fontibus), Abbot of Fountains, who became Bishop of Ely, England in 1220, was one of the most renowned architects of his period. In 1540 the abbey was surrendered to the king. Following a number of changes, it is held by the Marquess of Ripon, and the ruins, including part of the church, chapter house, cloister, refectory, and calefactory, are preserved.