1) Friday in Passion Week, commemorating the sorrow of Mary during the Passion , and Death of Christ; instituted by the provincial synod of Cologne in 1413 to expiate the crimes of the iconoclast Hussites, being termed the Compassion or Transfixion; extended to the entire Church by Pope Benedict XIII in 1727. The Stabat Mater is sung during Mass and Office.
- the prophecy of Simeon
- flight into Egypt
- loss of the Child Jesus at Jerusalem
- meeting Jesus on the road to Calvary
- standing at the foot of the Cross
- the descent of Jesus from the Cross
- His burial