Famous building, Spain; about 27 miles northwest of Madrid, known as El real Monasterio de San Lorenzo del Escorial, comprising a monastery, church, mausoleum, palace, college, library, and art-galleries. It was begun by Philip II in 1563 to commemorate the victory of Saint Quentin, 10 August 1557. The plan of the building, in the shape of a gridiron, is thought to have been suggested by the fate of Saint Lawrence, on whose feast the battle was fought. The architect was Juan Bautista de Toledo; after his death it was completed by Juan de Herrera. The finest building is the Doric church; under the altar is the royal mausoleum of the kings of Spain. The convent is occupied by Augustinian monks, who serve the church and conduct the college. The palace is a treasure-house of art and learning, containing manuscripts, tapestries, and paintings.