Daughters of Wisdom

Also known as

  • Les Filles de la Sagesse

Profile

Founded by Blessed Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort, 1703, by banding together a number of poor and afflicted girls at the hospital of Poitiers where the founder was temporary chaplain. Since the first establishement at La Rochelle, 1713, the congregation has grown to over 420 houses in France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Italy, South Africa, England, Canada, the United States, Haiti, and Colombia; the mother-house is at Saint-Laurent-sur-Sevre, La Vendee, France; the total number of religious is 4,912 (in 1920). Since 1715 it has been both hospitaller and teaching, embracing all charitable works in hospitals, prisons, orphanages, asylums, schools, kindergartens, training schools, day-nurseries, institutions for the deaf, dumb, and blind, poor-houses, and homes.

MLA Citation

  • “Daughters of Wisdom”. New Catholic Dictionary. CatholicSaints.Info. 20 June 2013. Web. 19 October 2017. <>