Benedictine monastery in Chertsey, Surrey, England. In the 9th century it was sacked by pagan Danes and all the monks martyred. It was refounded in 964 by brothers from Abingdon Abbey with the support of King Edgar. Most of north-west Surrey was granted to the abbey by King Frithuwald of Surrey. In the 11th century, the monks engineered the Abbey River as an offshoot of the River Thames to supply power to their watermill. The Abbey became famous as the burial place of King Henry VI. It was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1537, and the monks moved to Bisham Abbey. The site was given to Sir William Fitzwilliam and now only minor traces of the original structures remain. One of the abbey‘s bells, cast c.1380<>/a>, is still in use at Saint Peter’s church in Chertsey. The Abbey is mentioned in William Shakespeare’s play Richard III.
- “Chertsey Abbey”. . CatholicSaints.Info. 9 April 2010. Web. 1 September 2016. <http://catholicsaints.info/chertsey-abbey/>