- 1911 by Reverend Thomas F. Price and Reverend James A. Walsh, with the sanction of Pope Pius X
- formally incorporated in New York in 1912
Brought under the immediate jurisdiction of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples which approved the rule of the society for ten years from 1915. The first house, established at Hawthorne, New York, was only temporary, being transferred to the permanent seminary at Ossining, New York in 1912. In 1913 the Venard Apostolic School, a training college for Maryknoll, was opened at Scranton, Pennsylvania, and acquired permanent quarters in 1916. A second preparatory school was opened in 1926 at Los Altos, California. A procure was established at San Francisco, California in 1917 as Maryknoll headquarters on the Pacific coast and as a station for travelling missioners. The first detachment of missionaries left for China in September 1918, having been preceded in 1917 by their Superior, Father Walsh. At first under the Canton Vicariate, the Maryknoll mission field became independent in 1926 with three missions in China: Wuchow, Kaying, and the Prefecture Apostolic of Kongmoon, erected in 1924; an area in the northwestern province of Pengyang, Korea, embracing one-fifth of all Korea, in the Vicariate of Seoul, assigned by the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples in 1922; and a mission in Manchuria was established, 1925.
- “Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America“. . CatholicSaints.Info. 4 September 2010. Web. 12 February 2016. <>