Founded in 1619 by Virginia Centurione (died 1651), daughter of the Doge of Genoa and wife of Gasparo Grimaldi Bracelli (died 1625), who during a time of famine gathered a number of abandoned children into a home, which she called Santa Maria del Refugio dei Tribolati in Monte Calvario. Under her inspiration those associated with her in the work decided to lead a common life, follow the rule of Saint Francis, and pledge themselves to the service of the poor and sick. They bound themselves, however, by no vows, but by a solemn promise of perseverance. Among the prominent Genoese who promoted the work of the sisters was the Marquess Emmanuele Brignole, through whose munificence a second house was founded, in 1641, after which the sisters were often called “le suore Brignole.” The congregation soon spread through northern Italy. In 1815 Pius VII invited the sisters to Rome, and in 1833 Gregory XVI assigned them a house on the Esquiline, near the church of Saint Norbert, now the chief house of the institute.
- Florence McGahan. “Daughters of Mount Calvary”. . CatholicSaints.Info. 14 December 2013. Web. 27 February 2017. <>