The Church of Bourges in France was founded by Saint Ursin, who was sent from Rome to preach the faith in Gaul. Saint Gregory of Tours, in his history, places his mission in the middle of the third century, yet in his book on the Glory of Confessors, he tell us, that he was ordained by the disciples of the apostles, and governed many years the church of Bourges, which he had planted. He was interred in a common burial place in a field without the city; but his remains were translated thence by Saint Germanus, bishop of Paris, and abbot of Saint Symphorian’s, and by Probianus, bishop of Bourges, and deposited in the church of Saint Symphorian, now called Saint Ursin’s. This saint is honoured in the Roman Martyrology on the 9th of November; at Lisieux and some other places, on the 29th of December. Among the most eminent of his successors, two are called Sulpicius, and both surnamed Pious; the first, who is sometimes called the Severe, sat from the year 584 to 591, and his relics are enshrined in the church of Saint Ursin. His name was inserted in the Roman Martyrology by Baronius, on the 29th of January, and occurs in other more ancient calendars.
- Father Alban Butler. “Saint Sulpicius the Pious, Archbishop of Bourges”. , 1866. CatholicSaints.Info. 16 January 2013. Web. 27 April 2017. <>