[In French Leufroi] He was a native of the territory of Evreux, and performed his studies partly in the monastery of Saint Taurinus at Evreux. Hearing the great sanctity of B. Sidonius, abbot near Rouen, much spoken of, he repaired to him, and received the monastic habit at his hands. By the advice of Saint Anshert, archbishop of Rouen, he returned to his own country, and on a spot two leagues from Evreux, upon the Eure, where Saint Owen had formerly erected a cross and a chapel, he built a monastery in honour of the cross, which he called the cross of Saint Owen, but it is long since called the cross of Saint Leufroi. Fasting, watching, and prayer were the constant exercises of his whole life, especially during forty years that he governed his monastery. He died happily after receiving the holy viaticum in 738, and was succeeded in the abbacy by his brother Saint Agofroi. In the incursions of the Normans in the ninth century, the monks fled for refuge to the abbey of Saint Germain-des-Prez at Paris, carrying with them the relics of Saint Owen, Saint Turiave, Saint Leufroi and Saint Agofroi. When they returned, they left in gratitude for their entertainment those of Saint Leufroi and Saint Turiave, which still remain in that great abbey. Saint Leufroi is named in the Roman Martyrology on the 21st of June, and honoured with an office in the new Paris Breviary. See his anonymous life written in the ninth age with the remarks of Mabillon.
- Father Alban Butler. “Saint Leufredus, Abbot”. , 1866. CatholicSaints.Info. 25 June 2013. Web. 30 August 2015. <>