- Hammer of the Heretics
Studied at the Collegium Helveticum in Milan, Italy from 1580 to 1587. Priest in the diocese of Como, Italy. Worked to revive Catholic practice and theology in the period after the Council of Trent and in the face of expanding Protestantism. Archpriest of Sondrio, Italy. Falsely accused of being involved in radical violence against Protestant ministers, he was arrested on 24 July 1618 and died during torture a few weeks later. Martyr.
- tortured to death on 4 September 1618 in Thusis, Graubünden, Switzerland
- relics in the collegiate church at Sondrio, Italy
- 21 April 2013 by Pope Francis
- beatification recognition celebrated in Sondrio, Italy, presided by Cardinal Angelo Amato
- “Blessed Nicolò Rusca“. CatholicSaints.Info. 24 July 2016. Web. 25 July 2016. <>