- Mark Xhani
Studied at the Shkodra Pontifical Seminary, and then theology in Bobion, Italy. Ordained on 21 March 1942 as a priest of the archdiocese of Shkodrë-Pult, Albania. Imprisoned and tortured in the anti–Christian persecutions of the Albanian Communist government. His torturers repeatedly ordered him to curse Christ; he repeatedly answered “Long live Jesus Christ!” Martyr.
- tortured to death in 1947 in Shën Pal, Mirditë, Albania
- body dumped in a canal to be eaten by stray dogs
- 5 November 2016 by Pope Francis
- beatification celebrated at the Square of the Cathedral of Shën Shtjefnit, Shkodër, Albania, presided by Cardinal Angelo Amato
- “Blessed Mark Gjani“. CatholicSaints.Info. 10 November 2016. Web. 8 December 2016. <>