Benedictine monk, Solesmes Congregation. Priest. Prior of his house in Madrid, Spain in 1919. He restored the church of Our Lady of Montserrat in Madrid, and formed a small community of brothers there. When the anti–Catholic persecutions of the Spanish Civil War began, he dissolved the community and sent them all into hiding. When the militia found Father José, he was sentenced to death for being a priest, and executed. Martyr.
- shot on 25 September 1936 in the Andalucía highway, Madrid, Spain
- interred in the church of Our Lady of Montserrat, Madrid
- 29 October 2016 by Pope Francis
- beatification con-celebrated in Madrid, Spain by Cardinal Angelo Amato, Archbishop Carlos Osorio, Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco, Monsignor Juan Antonio Martinez Camino, Bishop Martin de Elizalde and Archbishop Renzo Fratini
- “Blessed José Antón Gómez“. CatholicSaints.Info. 31 October 2016. Web. 27 March 2017. <>