Jean moved to Italy in 1300, which had been declared a Holy Year. Benedictine hermit in a cave on Mount Caramola, Basilicata, Italy. Cistercian lay-brother at the abbey of Santa Maria del Sagittario, Naples, Italy; he was so dedicated to a holy silence that most people thought he was a mute. Miracle worker.
- 26 August 1339 at the abbey of Santa Maria del Sagittario in Naples, Italy of natural causes
- interred in a chapel dedicated to him in the abbey
- body found incorrupt in 1500
- relics moved to the church of San Giovanni Battista di Chiaromonte in 1808
- body found incorrupt in 2002
- “Blessed Jean of Caramola“. CatholicSaints.Info. 26 August 2016. Web. 29 March 2017. <>